Herbs, besides adding flavour to your mates, have got lots of properties and benefits for your health. Here are some tips to add them to your mates.
Medicinal plants are found in “herboristerías”. They are consumed by family inheritance or advice received from a grandmother or a close relative and are very much used in infusions like our popular mate.
How to incorporate these herbs to the mate?
In order to enjoy these herbs, it is better to use shade-dried leaves, as it was done by our ancestors. These leaves should be kept in tightly closed and disinfected jars or containers.
Another option is to buy the shade-dried leaves in health food stores or herbalist stores.
How to dry “yuyos” or herbs for your mates?
- Cut the amount of branches you wish to dry.
- Once they are cut, put them together and tight them with a thread.
- Leave a surplus of thread to hang the twigs in a dry and dark place for 15 to 20 days.
- Pay attention to the drying process, especially in wet places.
- After 15 or 20 days, the leaves should be dry. When you notice that you touch them and they are "crunchy" and very dry... It is time to rub them with your hands to remove them from the stalk.
- For better conservation, keep the dried leaves in a flask or hermetic container.
These are the most popular “yuyos” or medicinal herbs for the mate
- Pennyroyal: It acts effectively in cardiovascular problems and gastrointestinal disorders. It has a strong and bitter flavour.
- Peppermint: It is digestive and counteracts gastrointestinal disorders.
- Peperina: People from the Province of Córdoba and inhabitants of San Luis Province are used to adding peperina to their mates. It is digestive, stimulating and relieves general discomfort; similar to mint, it gives your mates a fresh touch.
- Cedron: It has antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and sedative properties. Mate fans add it to mate to improve digestion or relieve discomfort after a hearty lunch or dinner. Some people prefer to profit from its properties as a natural relaxant and drink a cedron infusion to help to fall asleep more easily.
- Marcela: It is used to fight off colics, indigestions, acidity and other stomach problems.
- Sage: It is digestive and anti- inflammatory.
- Burrito: It is digestive and can be used either for hot or cold mates. It has a minty flavour which makes its intake ideal for the summer when it is hot and we need a refreshing touch.
Herbs for the mate that help us sleep better
Herbs that help the digestive process
Tell us: Which is your favorite herb? Do you always use the same or you change it from time to time?